Friday 21 January 2011

iGoogle, though I nearly didn't and Things 4-6

The air went blue as I struggled with last week's  extension tasks and this week's challenges. A verification email went astray, so iGoogle was stonewalling me for sometime, but iGoogle page finally set up and running.  Definately slightly bemused by the choice of things available.  Lots of queries this week:-
  1. How do I get an image off Flickr onto my blog?  Lovely articles about the importance of images and how to choose the best one Using images and Incredible-flickr-images  but assume you know how to copy/link/attribute, which I don't.  Anyone know a where I can find a "how-to" blog?
  2. Which apps/features on an iGoogle page will prove useful and which are just time-sinks?  Think that uTube will fall into this latter category.
  3. What is this Creative Commons license, how do I get and/or display one?
  4. If I choose to follow anonymously, is the blogger aware of being followed, but not by whom?  Spooky or what, and is this cyber-stalking?
  5. Why has someone from India viewed my blog?  Searching on Google for Alicia's 23 can get you to what appears to be a Swedish lonely hearts website (in so far as I can understand it, as it is all in, er Swedish) so maybe this was just in error.



 

2 comments:

  1. I can provide an answer to questions 1 and 3 for you.

    1. To add Flickr images to your blog posts, and have them attributed correctly, you can use a great site called ImageCodr. You simply copy and paste the photo's URL into the box and it will generate some code which you can paste into the "Edit HTML" tab when you create a new blog post. A tip for finding photos on Flickr that can be reused is to use the Advanced Search and specify you want to search Creative Commons licensed content only.

    3. Creative Commons will be covered in week 7 when we look at multimedia sharing, but for now you can find out more, and get a license of your own on the Creative Commons FAQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice and the website link. It is really easy to use! As you can see I have corrected my earlier attempt at attribution, and will use in future.

    Look forward to Creative Commons in week 7, I have downloaded some pages from their website to read and think about.

    ReplyDelete